Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Ultima: Warriors of Destiny




The shit stain is gone!

I posted this morning saying how I thought I was past the halfway point in the game. It was more like 75%. Luckily I got more time to play than I thought I would and even with an anxious moment at the sparkly wall, I was able to plow through the final dungeon, Doom, and get the ending.

Just like the previous 2 Ultima NES games, there was no final boss. Use the sandalwood box on the mirror in the final room and you magically get the ending.

If anyone decides to play through this game, I gotta tell you, it's not nearly as bad as it seems at the beginning. Once you know what the hell is going on and what you are supposed to do (thanks again Schultz for that great guide!), the game actually has a certain charm that I never thought it would have.

You can actually avoid 95% of the fights in this game and don't really even need to use the spell book. I don't want to say the game is easy, as there are still a lot of areas that will kill you instantly, like if you aren't quick enough using the shards on the Shadowlords, but if you can get used to the shitty controls, you might actually end up liking it like I did.

Towards the end of the game, after slogging through the dungeon Shame and coming out in the Underworld, I ran into this sparkly wall. The guide says to use the Amulet on it. I did, but nothing happened. I walked along the whole length of the wall, using the Amulet often, but nothing happened. I even took time out to kill monsters and raise my level to 8, as you must do in the pc version to access Doom, but this didn't work. So what was the problem? After you use the Amulet on the wall, GET ON THE CARPET! I got on the carpet and rode right through the wall and down to the entrance of Doom.

This game actually has a satisfying end, unlike Ultima: Exodus. Quest of the Avatar is still the best Ultima game for the NES by a long shot, but Warriors of Destiny deserves a little love. It falls into the same category as Super Pitfall. VERY HARD to get into because it just seems like you are in a large world with no clear cut idea on what to do, but if you can get past some of this crappy stuff at the beginning, you might actually like what is underneath. Guys with fat girlfriends probably use that analogy a lot, but it really does apply to these games.

8 games left, but 5 of them are Koei. Will probably take aim at Nobunaga 2 next...once I get the stomach for it.

1 comment:

  1. It seems like in this case, it was a good thing your cheats didn't work. Otherwise you might not have known that you would genuinely like this game. Heh.

    Nice to hear you beat it Adam. I'm kind of tempted to try the game myself now, though I'll probably use an FAQ to play through it like you did. I'm not all that good at figuring out what to do in old RPGs on my lonesome.

    ReplyDelete