Monday, March 15, 2010

Game endings

So as most of you know, my main reason for beating games is to document the endings. If you haven't seen my NES game endings guide, it is here.

I don't think you can direct link to a particular FAQ on that site, but you'll find it there regardless.

I started working on that guide almost 10 years ago. It was first submitted to gamefaqs in November 2003. I beat a ton of NES games before that time and unfortunately only wrote down the endings in a notebook, but I've been enjoying going through a lot of them again and for a couple of them, like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, there were actually multiple endings, some of which I didn't get the first time through.

Also, some of the games I put endings for when I first started the guide are really skimpy, so I've been going through several games a 3rd time just so I can rewrite those endings and flesh them out a bit.

There are also a ton of Famicom endings, as well as endings for the Famicom Disk System, PAL NES games, pirates, homebrews and those wily Sachen games, that nobody seems to be able to concretely categorize. If anybody doesn't see an ending in the guide that you would like to know about, please let me know. My ultimate goal is to get EVERY NES ending documented. It will get done, assuming I don't perish in the next 10 years or so.

Anyway, here's a sneak peak at some of the games that will be included in my next update:

-Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Dragons of Flame (J)
-Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Pool of Radiance
-Bandit Kings of Ancient China
-Bonk's Adventure
-Captain Comic, The Adventures of
-Castle of Deceit
-Cobra Triangle
-Deep Dungeon (FDS)
-Galaga
-George Foreman's KO Boxing
-Kalin no Tsurugi (FDS)
-Legacy of the Wizard
-Locksmith (Sachen)
-Lutter (FDS)
-Orb 3-D
-Othello
-Pipe 5 (Sachen)
-Panda World (Pirate)
-Penguin & Seal, The (Sachen)
-Roadblasters
-Rock 'n' Ball
-Roger Clemens MVP Baseball
-Rollerball
-Rollerblade Racer
-Rollergames
-Terminator, The
-Terminator 2 - Judgment Day
-Thunderbolt 2 (Pirate)
-Toobin'
-Ultima: Warriors of Destiny
-Valkyrie no Bouken (J)
-Ys (J)
-Ys II - Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (J)


I usually update twice a year: once in June and once in December. If I get another 10 games beaten in the next month I may update it in sometime before June, but then again I always want to keep beating "one more game" before I update and just keep pushing back the date.

If you are an ending freak like myself, I suggest you check out this page:

http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/nes/

ReyVGM supplied most of those visual ending pics, which are much more stimulating to look at than my crappy descriptions. He hasn't updated since the Patriots won their last Super Bowl, but he has assured me he has one monster update left in him at some point down the line.

If anyone knows what this says, I'd love to know.

8 comments:

  1. If it isn't Tetsuwan Atom, aka Astro Boy. I remember back when I first got into emulation. Such a disappointment. It may have had the Konami logo, but it wouldn't have taken an average gamer too long to notice that something was amiss.

    Course as we know now Konami didn't make it, instead it was developed by some company called Home Data. While the game isn't awful, it feels very lackluster compared to Konami's other releases. Its a real shame to me that Konami got a license with a lot of potential for a great game like Astro Boy, and instead of putting any of their internal teams on it, they decide to just farm it out to somebody else. Its a pity. The game at least has 'quirkiness' on its side. Its pretty bizarre. I didn't actually complete the game myself yet, but I did watch a tool assisted run of it before. Course that probably only made things even more baffling.

    About the ending faq, I do have two small contributions. I'm not sure if you remember, but on the Lost Levels forum I mentioned that in Starship Hector the robot you become the second time through the game is Bomberking. (Otherwise known as Robowarrior.)

    Also Mendel Palace has a very tiny but still fairly interesting difference if you beat the game with two players. The ending plays out exactly the same, except while player 1 is with the girl you save as usual, player 2's character actually walks over to the crying defeated villain, and actually starts comforting her. The neat mirror floor effect that occurs in the 1 player ending is absent in the 2 player one, having the characters just standing on a standard floor. Must have been a technical limitation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, this is the kind of stuff that need to be in the ending guide. I will definitely add those and give you full credit.

    I thought the same thing about Tetsuwan Atom. It just didn't have the Konami feel to it. The controls, especially the flying, were awkward and the level layout was off a bit (one of the stages wasn't even numbered).

    I'm not even sure I got the best ending, as there is a Japanese page that shows some secret stuff you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you can link directly to the FAQ. Here's the direct link:
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/file/916386/26831

    GameFAQs used to have that policy to avoid people going directly to the FAQ and not going through the site or going back to it.
    But now each FAQ as a menu un top with links to the site, author, game page, etc. So it's now OK to link directly to a FAQ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Also Mendel Palace has a very tiny but still fairly interesting difference if you beat the game with two players"

    Oh no no no! Now I have to beat that darned game again :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Good. It must be that time warp thing I've been stuck in for the last 10 years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive found a way to get Japanese translations. I'm American but I teach English in Seoul South Korea and suprisingly enough they also teach Spanish, French, German, Chinese, and Japanese. I had a printout of the Tetsuwan Atom (Astro Boy)ending page and I went to see the Japanese teacher but he was busy. I left his office before he saw me and I bumped into an English teacher. While we were talking, the Japanese teacher came running down the hall to us. Someone in the office noticed I was waiting for him and told him I was waiting. At first I was a little embarassed about asking about help for an old Japanese video game then I came to my senses. Middle aged Korean men still read comic books, watch anime, and spend HOURS playing fantasy computer games. As soon as I took out the paper, "Oh, Atom!" I knew it would be no problem as both teachers were young and into video games and such. He translated the Japanese into Korean and the English teacher translated it to me. The following is the full translation told to me from a pair of tri-lingaul teachers....impressive.


    -To our hero, Atom-

    I thought you could do it. No matter how many times it takes, I knew you could do it. You came back to us as a great person. In the future I hope you keep giving us love and justice. Keep giving us love and justice. Thank you Atom.

    -Ochanomiz-

    That closing signature is a university name, perhaps where the professor works and created Atom. I know you were interested in finding out if theres a hint to play more or anything else but there doesnt seem to be. I can ask the guy for more translations in the future. Its the least I can do after being so desperate on GSHI asking for GG codes all the time. Plus Ive read so many Game FAQ walkthroughs, I just want to pitch in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome that he'll translate those for you. I'll dig through my "snap" folders from the last 10 years and see what else I can find.

    And GForce, I've been using YOUR codes lately to make it through some tough games (Locksmith), so you've already helped me see an ending I didn't think I'd see, even though it was less than spectacular.

    ReplyDelete